Our Green Leaf icon identifies products that are natural, organic, or can help you reduce your impact on the environment.
Before we apply the Green Leaf label to a product, we review the description and other information provided by the vendor to determine whether it is a product that is natural, organic, or that we believe can help you reduce your impact on the environment. The product must fall into at least one of the following categories based on our review of the vendor's product description:
- 1. Natural:
- Grocery Products & Nutritional Supplements: These products are made primarily of natural ingredients with minimal processing. Natural ingredients are extracted directly from plants or animals as opposed to being made synthetically. In addition, these products do not contain any substances on our Banned Ingredients List.
- Personal Care, Beauty, Cleaning & Baby Care Products: These products are made primarily of plant-based, naturally-derived and non-petroleum ingredients, pure essential oils and gentle preservatives. They do not contain any substances on our Banned Ingredients List.
2. Organic: These products are certified USDA Organic or made with at least 95% organic ingredients or materials, meaning, they are produced without synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, antibiotics, hormones, GMOs or radiation.
3. Designed to Remove Toxins: These products are specifically designed to purify air or water. We believe they contribute to a healthier home by reducing toxins in the air or water.
4. Energy Efficient: These products are either ENERGY STAR qualified or specifically designed to promote energy conservation. Examples include programmable thermostats and CFL lightbulbs. According to the ENERGY STAR program, qualified products use 10 to 50% less energy than average, non-rated products in the same category.
5. Made Mostly from Sustainable Materials: These products are made with at least 50% materials that are rapidly renewable, responsibly harvested or require no new raw materials in their manufacture. Examples include mechanically-processed bamboo, cork, wool, soy, hemp, organic cotton, corn-based plastic, sustainably-harvested wood or recycled, reclaimed, reused or upcycled materials.
6. Reusable: These products reduce waste by promoting reuse. If possible, we will include reusable products that are also made of natural, organic, recyclable or compostable materials.
Our banned ingredients list was developed in consultation with companies specializing in natural and organic products, national nonprofits and other industry experts. Products we've identified as "Natural" must not include any of the following banned ingredients:
- Banned Ingredients for Grocery (food & drinks) and Nutritional Supplements
- High fructose corn syrup
- Artificial fats or artificial trans fats
- Artificial colors
- Artificial flavors
- Artificial sweeteners
- Artificial preservatives
- Bleached or bromated flour
- Banned Ingredient for Personal Care, Cleaning, Laundry and Cosmetic Products
- Animal By-products
- Bisphenol A (BPA)
- Butylated Hydroxytoluene
- Chlorine Bleach (sodium hypochlorite)
- Ethylene Glycol Ethers
- Linear Alkylbenzene Sulfonate (a.k.a. DDBSA)
- Heavy Metals (Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Chromium)
- Monoethanolamine (MEA)
- Musk Derivatives
- Nonylphenol Ethoxylate
- Octylphenol Ethoxylate
- Phosphates (including Trisodium Phosphate)
- Triethanolamine (TEA)